Wednesday, May 16, 2007

on Bangor

Bangor is the place that I have been living at for the last three and three quarter years. After having spent all the previous time of my life at home this was a welcome change and I loved every minute of it. I use the past here deliberately because unless any kind of miracle happens, like, "I get a job that pays stupid amounts of money and which permits me to stay in the area", I shall have to move to a location that is more convenient. And really, the chances of a job suiting my preferences cropping up any time soon are slim in this area. But I shall miss it. Let's face it, more than 70% of my friends are here. OK some friends have moved back to other parts of the country but many are still her, the community is strong. Secondly, to one who has lived his previous life in a land locked country living on the coast comes as something of a revelation. It's not something I'll ever want to miss again, but that I fear I ultimately will.
I love Bangor for its beauty and is convenience. Having never been much of a city person, although I loved Exeter, I feel quite comfortable in this small-ish town that manages to cater for most needs at a convenient five to ten minute's distance from my doorstep. Who wouldn't want to live here?

Having been here for a long enough time it often strikes me as odd how few time I have actually been out of town and visited places around Bangor. I've been to Chester a fair few times, easily reached with public transport and thus a nice day out, but of the surrounding countryside I know horrifyingly little. I've been to Beaumaris across on the island and enjoyed Fish & Chips in the best chippy in the area (which sadly includes Batty's, which I regard as the best chippy in Bangor), I have walked across the Bridge to Menai Bridge - something which I only managed last year when my parent stayed over (!). I have seen Red Wharf Bay and its opposing shore, Llandonna beach, but have since then failed to go there again. I have also been on a beach near Holyhead which might have been Llanfwrog, but i can't be sure. On the main land side I have visited Caernarfon, briefly. Once because there's a shop I needed to go to and once because a friend invited us over. But I've never actually did any proper sight seeing there. I've been to Llanberris, just. And I have been to a couple of surrounding villages, the names of which I have forgotten, to visit friends for a party. Oh and I have been to Paenmaenmawr. Kite flying along the beach and to visit "the Friday", who lives there with his wife and two kids and who is a great mate of mine. But apart from that I haven't been anywhere! I don't know Snowdon, I haven't been on the Great Orme (nor on the small one for thatmatter). I have only been swimming once I hardly ever go for walks that are extensive enough to be mentioned. How sad is that? How uninterested do I seem in a place that which I claim to love so much? I should really get a live, go out and explore the place and actually get to know what it means to live in Bangor. I shall endeavour to do so THIS SUMMER. But before that there's still three deadlines to meet so I shall remain sad and live a life of solitude and secludedness with only my workstation to comfort me. And even that only when my wordcount will have risen sufficiently to considere it work.

Anyways, Five and a half hours of sleep is not good, and I'm hungry as well.

No comments: